Yeah, that phone call did not go as positively as I expected it to and you could tell it was going that way right off the bat. So I turned down one job, and didn't get the offer I thought I might on the other. Whoops.
Which makes me feel a little more foolish about saying no elsewhere, but considering I had already made that decision before I had the second phone call I guess I shouldn't. I also set up another interview for next week, and am still hoping to hear back from another interview from last week, so it's not like there's not hope for me out there. It just sucks not hearing what I thought I'd hear.
Throw in a crappy, wet ride this morning and this Monday has shaped up for shit. So I'm gonna go home, drink a whiskey, and watch GoT. That should take care of things.
Current beer-scale: 8.8
Oh well, still an ego boost to get one. But I've convinced myself that as unhappy as I am currently, I'm not just jumping to the first branch that becomes available if it's not the right one. I can wait another few weeks for more interesting interviews to pan out. This one took 2.5 months start to finish, might end up with great timing if any of these other recent ones pan out with other offers.
Current beer-scale: 9.1 & beer's in the fridge!
I have a follow up phone call to make regarding an interview at an Evanston non-profit and I'm not sure I want to make it. I'm pretty unhappy at the office today and if I actually get an offer from somewhere else I'm going to have a hard time saying no.
So the day has not shaped up well at all. Let's just get to the weekend at this point.
Current beer-scale: 6.8
I had a follow up today to make sure everything is coming together well. And it is, but I did get fitted for a new splint and some velcro supports so it heals more properly.
Current beer-scale: 8.1
I'm sitting in a garage trying not to doze off before it's time to walk to my second interview today. Apparently I didn't learn anything the last time I said no more two interview days.
At least the first interview was in the AM at UChicago, one I'm really interested in. I brought the enthusiasm and it seemed to go well. And parking downtown let me meet the write for lunch between.
But all I wanted to do at lunch was chug a beer, and all I want tip do now is go to sleep. It's cold I'm tired and I don't really care about this job. Oh well they can't all be winners.
So I'll listen to the radio for a couple more minutes, gut this interview out, and Jane several beers when we're all finally home tonite.
Current beer-scale: 9.1 and staying high
I did ask for an ambulance to get called though, b/c at that point I was pretty pissed...
Here's the view from the squad car (the officer was a good guy, walked me into the hospital so I'd get checked quicker):
Current beer-scale: off the damn charts
I've been looking for a chance to renew my expired license and take a bike in for a pre-good weather tune up, so when I set up a phone interview for 9:30 this morning it seemed like a good day to play hooky and get some stuff done.
Got off to a bit of a rocky start when the interviewer called half an hour early but luckily I was already set up and had had a coffee already. Apparently I did okay since they've already emailed about setting up an in-person interview next week. Sounds like I might be juggling a pair of interviews again on Monday, oh boy.
So in the meantime I made some meatballs and tried to get mentally ready to go back to the office for another day. Ugh. I think the whiskey's coming out to meet dinner tonite.
Current beer-scale: 7.6
I heard back in the negative for a job late yesterday and while I wasn't disappointed I admit I as a little surprised. I wasn't overly interested in the job but believed the interview went well and thought I would hear a more positive response. Getting a "no" takes a difficult decision out of my hands but I was still caught off-guard.
It would have been difficult b/c I admit, the any port in a storm perspective is sounding more and more appealing. I've completely soured on where I am right now and if I was presented with another option, even if it wasn't my top choice, I'd have a difficult time saying no.
Which is not a good headspace to be in, b/c at this point my next interview is going to feel like it's life or death. Not a feeling that helps keep things on an even keel. But at least I get to take a day off to do the interview. Now I just have to not completely blow it.
Current beer-scale: 9.9. Buried the needle, Ray.
C'mon people, it's an unlined cotton blazer, it's barely a step up from a shirt and tie. Read a magazine once in a while.
Current beer-scale: 9.5 and can't wait for an interview next week.