1/6/11

Time to take a breath

And maybe even a break. Nerves are getting frayed.

There were a lot of cops out last night for whatever reason, and that included two on bikes behind me, then in front of me, then behind me again on Chicago as I left work. And I wasn't running any reds, these guys were just screeching up to the light after I got there, shoaling me, then just standing there as the light changed so I'd pass them, only to get shoaled again at the next light. The last time, the one on the left (of course the were riding side by side) stood directly in front of me and angled his bike across my lane. Screw it, I ran the light and got as far away from them as I could. It's not like they fucking cared. They were happy spinning away with their lights on.

For reasons again beyond my comprehension, traffic was heavy this morning. Cars were backed up and I was taking it easy going down Wells. In this case 'easy' meant 90% stopping at stop signs just to make sure no one was coming through. Of course some ass on a hybrid zooms right past me at one when there's an suv in the middle of the intersection. She slams on her brakes, he gives her a wave, only now she's stopped directly in front of me and waiting for me to pull the same shit. We'd still be sitting there staring at each other if I hadn't waived her through. I didn't have any choice, when she stopped I had to put a foot down. Eventually that lady's going to t-bone some bike commuter b/c she's tired of looking for them, and I can only hope it's the same idiot that pulled the douche-y move this morning.

Shit like this happens all the time. But when it bugs me to the point where I'm wishing physical harm would come to people on bikes then I think it's time to get away for a while. And I mean away away. It's not like taking the train instead of the bike is going to make me feel better at all. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Current beer-scale: 9.9

No comments: