7/16/09

Well that was humbling

Woof. After a few fast rides this week, I have to admit I was starting to think I was pretty hot shit. So my ride home today hit the perfect note to take care of that.

I had made my turn and was headed back south to belmont on the lake path, when I look up and ahead of me, there's a guy in a Half Acre jersey. "Wow, that's cool" I thought. "I should tell him that as I pass him."

Something as simple as that, yet full of ego. It might not be as bad as that, but apparently I'm so used to passing roadies I just take it a given now. Or at least I used to. B/c no sooner than my thinking that, the guy absolutely took off. Dropped me like...well, like something really heavy and slow. Zoom.

I was already nearly sprinting, trying to find a good rhythm. This guy stood up for a second, and was gone. It was fantastic. I've had a few moments that felt like that on a bike, but haven't seen one as a spectator. Even as I was getting absolutely smoked, I had to appreciate that it was happening. Very cool. Makes me want to watch more Tour coverage.

Current beer-scale: 5.1

No comments: