5/24/09

Wow; that was way more fun than I expected

I don't know if it's the 3 cups of coffee I've already had this morning or the sneaking onto Bike the Drive before work, but I am in a fabulous mood for 10 AM Sunday morning. Let's peep some pics, shall we (sounds like that's the coffee talking)?
I managed to get up before the alarm actually went off so I didn't wake the wife while I snuck out way too early to get in a sizable ride before work.
Although I do feel mildly guilty for not fully registering this year, that did add an element of feeling like I was getting away with something which only made things that much more fun. The cop blocking the Belmont ramp gave me a nice wave when I went by.
Getting on at an unofficial starting point was odd; I felt like I was merging just like a car would. I ended up doing this twice b/c after I made it to the turn-around point and back to Fullerton, it was way too early to go to the office so I went back up to Belmont for an extra couple of minutes.
Conditions were perfect; sunny but windy enough to feel like you were really working at points. Especially over the Grand/Illinois bridge. People were really struggling back up the north-bound portion. Even against the wind, back down was a blast. I stopped to take a self-indulgent picture of my bike in the sun.I also took a shot of my new bike pants. $8 steve & barry pants cut way short and had hemmed to just below the knee. Perfect for the temperature in the mid-50's and very comfortable. Outstanding.
All in all a great day. Of course, as soon as I got on the first time a roadie went flying by advising me my seat was set too low. Thanks guy. I'm only out here year-round, I never would have thought to put the seat in a position less comfortable than I've already got it in. Oh well. If you're surrounded by bikers, odds are there's going to be someone giving you advice whether you want it or not. The sun was out, I put in an extra ten miles or so before work, and now I'm off for more coffee and whatever beer the wife picks up while I'm at work today. Fantastic. Happy Memorial Day!
Current beer-scale: 3.9 (mellow, but I could crack one)

No comments: