5/29/09

a little on the nose, you think?

I was out running some errands today and made a critical error.

Curiosity getting the best of me, I ventured into Performance Bike on Halsted to check things out. Like ever other snob out there, I'm dubious of a bike I can buy online and have shipped for a couple hundred bucks, but what the hell. If nothing else, they seemed to have some decent prices on tubes and other accessories if I need anything else this summer.

It was pretty crowded for the middle of an afternoon, and I was able to browse without anyone checking on me until I stopped in front of the single speeds for a while. That's when I learned about the "hipster" line being on sale for the time being.

Ah, the hipster line. Granted, in my cut off pants and nutcase helmet, I could pass for hipster in most places. I was also sporting a Captain America t-shirt, but without a trace of irony. Cap kicks ass. At least last night I trimmed most of my hockey beard off. But I'm still uncomfortable purposely buying a bike marketed by a chain specifically to an alt crowd.

Whatever. If I end up buying another POS for winter-use something out of the "hipster" line would fit the bill pretty well I think. All in all it was a more pleasant diversion than I expected it to be when I decided to stop by.

The only real errand I ended up getting done was picking up more beer. It took more than one stop too, b/c for whatever reason Binny's left me strangely unsatisfied. Again, it's not like I had anything else to do. Which is why the beer comes in handy.

Current beer-scale: 8.1

No comments: