4/29/09

I now see how someone could train indoors

Fighting through the wind this morning by one of my all-time favorite summer establishments, I realized I was practically sitting still and decided to try and take a picture while not falling down.As I laughed at that, I also realized I felt faster sitting still on a trainer this weekend than I had for most of my commutes this week. That wasn't as funny.

The in-laws were on a fitness kick this winter and decided to buy two in-door trainers with crazy fancy 3D rides programmed in and additional tour de france videos to ride to. I thought it was cool, but was busy trying to get through winter and didn't really try them out. They're out of town getting swine flu this week (cruising around Mexico) and we stopped by to check on the house. The 'burbs can be pretty boring, so I let the dog out into the backyard and hopped on the trainer.

Part of feeling fast, I think, is having gears to change and different grades to ride up and down. Even though I wasn't "moving," the trainer's pretty sophisticated as far as resistance and virtually simulating hills. Once I had figured out my mother in-law's Trek and its ultegra triple it was time to see what I could get done. 30 minutes later, I staggered out of their garage covered in sweat, having busted out about 12 miles in what looked like Seattle.

I'm not running out to buy another bike any time soon, and even if I was, it would be another single-speed that could make it through all kinds of Chicago crap. But I had forgotten how much fun shifting through multiple gears could be. I'll have to find an excuse to go back out now.

Current beer-scale: 5.9

No comments: