9/5/11

Cue Mr. Nelson

Give us a long weekend and a car that runs and is fun to drive and we'll think of something to do. Especially after a lousy Notre Dame game.

Actually, it took us a while to figure out what exactly we wanted to do with our Labor Day. We were headed to a forest preserve in the burbs to give the dog somewhere to run around but once we were on the road that changed into a trip to the Indiana Dunes. It ended up being the right thing to do.

The dog was a little restless when we left. I don't think it helped that we were all the way to 294 south when we decided to switch destinations. She was expecting the suburbs, and got two hours in the car instead. Everything was forgotten once we made it there though. The next time I feel the urge to go to a beach this is where I'm heading. It wouldn't be a trip to the dunes if we didn't climb them too. Even the dog was panting by the time we made it to the top, but that's more b/c she was freaking nearly the entire time we were there.
So she was plenty tired for the ride home.
A trip like that fascinates me these days. When I was a kid I didn't like taking trips like that. My parents never ended up anywhere I thought was worth the time in the car. It could have been just growing up in the middle of nowhere, it could have been my parents were idiots. But now that I'm in charge it's a lot more fun, even though it's nearly impossible to feel like you're doing anything remotely spontaneous when you can look up anything on a phone and instantly find GPS to anywhere. Makes me really look forward to driving to Kansas City for a wedding in a few weeks.

Current beer-scale: 8.1

No comments: