9/10/09

spare me your antiquities

So I'm back on my coping mechanism, busting my ass. I could use some additional assistance coping though, b/c my beer scale scores are creeping ever higher.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Heineken keg can.

Anyway, someone was telling me today that all I really had to do was follow up on the resumes that I've got out there and I would find something no sweat. And for whatever reason, that struck me as a totally asinine comment. The source probably hurt the impression of what was said, but christ almighty, we live in the digital age. I don't have to "pound shoe leather," I have to write a brilliant cover letter. I don't have to glad-hand, I have to e-network. Thanks for the sentiment, but it's not really hitting home right now.

"The State" had a sketch were an announcer in a cereal commercial was stopping people to interview and David Wain walks by and instead of telling the guy he likes cereal, they start talking about how Wain's looking for work. So the announcer tells him he's "really got to start looking" and "making the rounds." He buys Wain a cup of coffee to get him to admit his cereal is pretty good. I felt a little like that today. Is pounding on doors or repeatedly emailing until I get a response a way to make a positive impression or to come off as stalker-ish and desperate? Of course, if I had heard back for an interview or something I wouldn't have to stop and think about it but that's not the case.

It's like the professor I had in grad school telling us one night, once we had our Masters any job not paying X-amount wouldn't be worth our time. And this was at the height of W's presidency--the tech bubble had burst, people were starting to panic and didn't know if we were in a recession or not, and here's a guy who hasn't looked for a job since he was tenured THREE DECADES AGO spouting out ridiculous figures to "help" in our job searches. Yeah, thanks.

So I'm still not panicked, but I'm not exactly comfortable either. At least football's started, at least ND is 1-0, and I've got more beer in the fridge. For now, that'll have to do.

Current beer-scale: 8.7

No comments: