3/20/09

Yah, Friday maintenance!

Woo hoo, time for more maintenance. Always fun.

Over the winter, my in-laws had some extra slime they didn't need while they were on trainers all season. I happily took it home, not realizing presta valves aren't the easiest tires to slime. There are plenty of DIY resources out there if you want to figure out how to slime a presta-valve tube. I eventually tried cutting the end of the cap off so you could remove everything, and hoping I could screw it back on after putting the slime in. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I came up with a new way today though.

After putting new tubes on the new bike I played around with the tube I flatted on Wednesday morning. I tried feeling for a puncture but couldn't figure anything out, so I went to take the presta adapter off and throw the tube out. When I took the adapter off though, the rest of the valve top came with it, leaving the wider tube with a wide open top.

This top, it occured to me, would probably be considerably easier to get slime into. Then all I'd have to do is screw the valve piece back on and hopefully I'd have a recycled tube. It kind of worked. Let's just say the open top wasn't quite the perfect fit for either the slime nozzle or the regular plastic tube that you put over the tube valve. But it worked eventually, and slime was bubbling out of the holes in the tube (dammit, how the fuck does something like that happen? these tubes suck).
With a patch kit over that area, fingers crossed this turns into an emergency tube I can keep around for the next time I need a crap tube on the crap bike. And let's hope that since it's finally spring, that isn't for a nice long time.
Current beer-scale: 3.1

No comments: