1/21/09

There's no bike lane on the high road

I have to remind myself sometimes that I'm not biking for any greater good. I don't bike to lower my carbon footprint and I don't bike for the environment. I'm not (purposely) easing congestion or going car-free. I bike b/c it's fun, and so I don't go crazy sitting in a car stuck in rush hour traffic.

So when someone honks to move me over to the point I'd be jumping parked cars, or when they take the time to roll down their windows and call me an asshole, they're not obstructing some holy crusade I've set myself on. They're just being dicks, and that's what people do. And since I'm not doing anything better, I'm going to start doing what I can to be a dick back. Taking the lane, signaling a left from a block out, getting a slow start to go straight from in front of the right-turn only lane, anything I can think of. There's no bike lane on the high road.

I was really looking forward to getting back on the bike after taking some time off last week. With some shredded sidewalls and single digits temps a break sounded pretty good. But three days in the car convinced me it was time to do some tire shopping. If I had remembered this was what I'd be coming back to, I might have done a little more comparison shopping last weekend.

Current beer-scale: 6.9

No comments: