11/5/08

wow.

The enormity of what just happened in America is starting to settle in. I admit, the Redeye cover with President-elect Obama (!!!!) brought tears to my eyes this morning. I didn't go to Grant Park last night, and except for the last moments of last night's victory speech I didn't regret it. Watching from home though, I don't think the impact of the election really hit me until I got up this morning and had proof that it was actually done. It was fun to hear the glee in Chris Matthews' voice, and a little sad to think about Tim Russert not being there, but there's something about watching election coverage that I think I would enjoy more at home.

Kind of like a football game. Is it great to go, to say you were there, to tailgate and be outside for a glorious fall football Saturday or Sunday? Absolutely. But there are also advantages to catching it at home, including tivo, being able to check other scores, cheaper beer, no bathroom lines, being able to sit with the dog vs some grandma who doesn't know what's going on, no traffic to battle on the way home. And it was the same way last night. I would have loved to have seen history made in person last night, but as soon as Obama had closed his speech that feeling passed. I was home, I was tired, and I wasn't plodding down Michigan Ave with a million other people wondering if I was better off just walking home vs. catching a train.

Having said that, I can't read enough news coverage this morning. The idea of someone like Barack Obama now having to figure out how he's going to transition to governing the entire country is exhilarating. There were times when I doubted it would actually happen, but I'll be grateful it did for a long time. Wow. What a night.
I've never been happier to say I was part of the process, and I cannot wait to see where we go from here.

No comments: