5/14/08

Wow. That was both a great and lousy night. Pitching an entire game and getting shelled was not really enjoyable, and neither was getting home so late and trying to wake up this morning. But playing in the rain again added a little something, and that meant riding home at the end of the night was great. Beers during and after the game helped too, especially after choking down the rage I felt coming on as we blew another 2-out inning and let in 5 more runs.

Actually, I'm quite proud of myself for that one, b/c my younger self probably would've been screaming and cursing at both myself and my teammates. The best thing was I wasn't the only one feeling that way, as I found out when we rehashed the entire game at Sedgwick's afterwards. It's only natural to get frustrated when things aren't going your way like that, and even though it takes a team effort to screw up that much, everyone felt like it was their own mistake that was the key to the inning. Thankfully, we all realized we're supposed to be playing for fun, and freaking out over softball is definitely not.

The only real down side to a night like that is not wanting to skip going out afterwards and getting home too late to really do anything except shower and go to bed. Riding home at night is just scary enough to be exhilarating, and it's hard to relax enough to sleep after getting home in one piece. As long as the hockey game doesn't go triple overtime tonite, it's not the end of the world. I can always sleep tomorrow.

No comments: