2/5/13

prescription pain in the ass

I need new glasses.
Do NOT click on this image, for your own good.
Actually, I've needed new glasses for a while.  The tinting on my aviators has started bubbling up on both sides of the lens for quite some time, and breaking my back-up pair of glasses last spring meant one pair getting all the work which is never good.  The final straw however, was the kid knocking my clear glasses off my face in the garage over the holidays (now his favorite game is grabbing them off my face and laughing maniacally.  Hysterical).  At the time I didn't want to look but the "crunch" sound they made when they hit the concrete was not a good sign.  Unbelievably, the only damage was a chunk of the bottom left frame breaking away.  A little sharpie on the gap and it actually looked good enough for me to keep wearing them until I could make myself get an eye exam. 

It's been over 4 years since I last had an exam, so this was a long time coming.  Last time, I was so aggravated by where I got the exam I didn't buy any actual glasses and started looking online.  Very similar story this year.  Let's just say I wasn't impressed with the Specs on Chicago Ave.  But that's why we have the internet.

Warber Parker's been on my radar for a while, so as soon as I finished the exam I had my try on at home box ordered.  More on them after I make a choice.  But I also need something to ride in and not worry about if they get a little beat up.  Thankfully there are even cheaper options out there.

After a LOT of searching I went with Zenni optical and we'll have to see how it goes.  Two different pairs from their "Sport" section, one plain sunglasses and one transitions.  Hopefully I'm not waiting a month for them to get here but at $94 for two pairs of glasses plus shipping I guess I can afford to wait a while.  It would have been even cheaper if I hadn't gotten the transition lenses.  The wife says I look like a pervert when they aren't fully clear or fully shaded but she's not riding a bike with me so who cares.

This is why I've gone far too long between exams and glasses.  Getting the exam and finding a pair that looks decent is such a pain that once I find something, it's going to have to last a long time.  And if they cost $100 versus close to a grand (stupid Specs) even better.  More on each choice when they get here.  Until then I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Current beer-scale: 6.7

No comments: