7/27/11

Good on you mate

There are a lot of things I don't like about people, but that doesn't mean there aren't things to admire at the same time.

I was following a roadie this morning who just fascinated me. He was moving at a decent clip, completely kitted out in a curve-revealing jersey, shorts with salt from old sweat stains all over the butt-pad, tiny SPD shoes w/o socks, the whole nine yards. Not a tiny guy either. But there he was, in all his spandex-y glory pedaling away.

Actually, not completely pedaling. He was coasting every few seconds, which was what got my attention originally. He'd make it up a slight hill, coast immediately. Head down the hill and pick up some speed, coast some more. I didn't understand how he was moving so fast since he wasn't pedaling. Eventually he pulled over and started kicking at his derailleur, so that might be why he was coasting. More likely it was so much time in the wrong gear and all the coasting that caused a problem, but whatever.

Still, here was a big guy in a skin-tight outfit riding away to his heart's content. I didn't like how he was riding, but I'm more than a little jealous of the self-assuredness he carried himself with. I'm in decent shape but can't bring myself to just wear a jersey. Maybe it's time to cut back on the beer.

No, no I don't think so.

Current beer-scale: 8.8

No comments: