6/30/08

And you are?

Holy crap I had an entire peloton to get around this morning on Lincoln. I've been trying to take it easy and go a little slower when there's more people out, really I have. But when someone's fiddling with their ipod versus going through a green or passing on the right while they're pedaling their little legs off on the granniest gears they have, it's just too hard. In the end it's less aggravating to get to work slightly sweaty than to sit behind a line of people who have good intentions but seemingly have no earthly idea about how commuting actually works and fume about it. I applaud your efforts; now get out of my way.

That last bit really makes me sound like a snob but what the hell, sometimes I am. And as much as I enjoy biking, Monday mornings are not my finest or fairest hour. Add to that ANOTHER instance of nearly getting blindsided by someone running a red while other bikers (ME) have the right of way and you have someone a little on edge. In a perfect world I'd be able to shrug it off and be much healthier about it but that's not really happening today.

In a perfect world, I would have been happier with some of the bikes I tested this weekend too. I can live without the hit my wallet's going to take when I do find something but with so many options for bikes and stores I thought I would at least have some options after some rides. Nope. The funny thing about testing some new, nicer bikes is that they don't feel like my frankenbike, which is an absolute piece of junk but I'm on it everyday and the fit just feels right by now. I have at least one more option locally so I'm not ready to give up but after that it might be time to start thinking slightly out of the box on this.

I'm going to keep looking b/c I don't think I'm quite fed up enough to completely give up on the bike commuting. Yet. Days like today are pushing it, but in a few months it will be cold again and I'll be slogging along alone on the streets. In the meantime I'm going to pay extra attention to the good moments, and hope there are enough of them to loosen me up a bit.

Current beer-scale: 6.3

No comments: