4/30/08

That was weird. I don't remember the last time I was biking and someone stopped to have an actual conversation from their car with me. That's probably b/c it's never happened, b/c the idea is damn crazy. Imagine trying to drive to work, but you can't b/c the guy in front of you has slowed down to around 15 mph as he talks to some yahoo on his bike.

Still, it was a pleasant enough conversation. Usually when people pull up and roll their window down, it's only to yell insults or tell me to get on the sidewalk (to which the only appropriate response is a silent middle finger--it's impossible to explain to people yelling from their car that you're supposed to be on the road). And at first, that's what I thought this guy was doing but instead he asked me about my bike, and started telling me about the Fuji he's got at home. Ok, cool. I was practically at work anyway, so I could take a second to have a conversation. The idea of it makes me laugh now, but at the time it seemed like a resonable enough thing to do.

Believe me, I'd much rather have that kind of experience over someone turning right without a blinker in front of me or having to squeeze between a bus and someone trying to pull out before it passes them. I realize not everyone in a car is the devil, it just feels like the idiots outweigh the good guys by a significant margin sometimes. But not today.

No comments: